Megagenesis is a program designed to encourage education and to open the minds of students to the possibilities and opportunities available to them. The Beta Phi Lambda chapter and the Beta Phi Lambda Education Foundation host this program annually. The event features a full college and career fairs with over 30 colleges and business present for students to join and network with. The event also features a serious of leadership, academic, and professional development workshops. At the dismissal of the concurrent workshops, the students meet in an assembly where there is a keynote speaker and awarding of four $1000 scholarships. The students are provided lunch, then entertainment from the Beta Phi Lambda Chapter & Delta Eta chapter (Savannah State University) and other local artists. This year’s event hosted 938 students. The event has also garnered collaboration from the 100 Black Men of Savannah, the Savannah Chatham County Public School System, and the Chatham Country Youth Commission. The event has also established other corporate partnerships and sponsorships.
From 2007 through 2017, students have received over $6.2 million in scholarships as a result of contacts and information received at Megagenesis.
- Founded in 1995 in Newport News, Virginia by Dr. Zke Zimmerman.
- Megagenesis celebrated 22 years in 2017
- In 22 years, over 36,000 students and parents have attended in Virginia
- Megagenesis was initiated in Savannah in 2007 by Dr. Zke Zimmerman.
- In 11 years over 7000 students and parents have attended. The growth of the program in Savannah has gone from 335 in 2007 to over 1000 in 2017.
- Inform students about opportunities available for college graduates
- Provide information about opportunities to study at a variety of colleges and universities
- Through speaking with professionals, get an in-depth look at various career interests.
Program offers at NO cost:
- College Fair
- Career Workshops
- Corporate Display
- Motivational Speaker
- Parent Workshops
- Talent Show
- Scholarship Applications